Playhouse 22 is accepting submissions for our 2014-2015 theatrical season, and are now accepting submissions from interested/qualified directors.
What we are looking for are submissions that span certain genres and come close to meeting the following criteria:
- Looking to present at least one “family” related musical to reach a wide audience of parents and children
- Looking to present at least one smaller musical to open our season, along with two larger musicals that will be presented during the season
- Looking for, but not limited to, well-known/”banner” productions in both the musical and straight play areas that will be familiar to audiences. Unknown/original plays will be considered but have a lower chance of being selected as main-stage productions
Our season consists of:
- Five (5) main-stage productions: 3 musicals, 2 straight plays
- Two (2) “black box” productions – these are smaller scale presentations meant to concentrate on performances. There is a minimal budget assigned, and there are no sets/little to no costumes/props, etc. – basically the absence of the usual full production facets
- Several “special events” – These are determined by the Board during the year and are usually one-time events
- Open submission time frame is November 5, 2013 – November 30,2013 deadline
- Review/Decision process is December 1, 2013 – December 31, 2013
- You may be contacted for an interview during this time frame if the committee is interested in pursuing your submission
- The Chairman of the Selection committee will contact you to advise if your play has/has not been selected for our season
- Announcement to the general public will occur soon after January 31, 2014
What You Need To Do
- Please complete the requested submission information in its entirety, answering all sections in full detail. This is your representation and will be used to determine interest in your submitted project. The selection committee needs this detail to determine feasibility of producing the show you have submitted.
- Be sure to provide a complete resume covering your directing experience. Committee members may/may not be familiar with your work, so this is also very important to be as complete and informative as possible.
- Complete a submission form for EACH PLAY you are submitting for consideration – do NOT combine multiple plays on one submission form!
Your submission form(s) and your theatrical resume should be emailed to the email address provided below. We would prefer a copy of the play/plays you are submitting be scanned and emailed as well (larger files may be shared via link) and should be emailed.
- NOTE: Regarding plays – if you are submitting for consideration a well-known, classic show, such as “The Sound of Music”, “Fiddler on the Roof”, etc., a copy of the script is not required. If you have a question on this, please email us for clarification.
In the event scanning a script is not possible, you may provide us paper copies of the script by dropping them off at the box office of Playhouse 22, located at the East Brunswick Community Arts Center, 721 Cranbury Road, East Brunswick, NJ. 08816 during any evening or weekend our next show, “Spamalot” is running in November.
More information is available by email or by phone at 732.254.3939.